Haiti Marathon Story 2011

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Haiti Marathon

There's simply nothing more perfect than a run in the snow. Anyone who truly knows me may be laughing about now. Having been born and raise in Orange County, California, I am the first to complain about the insane winters here in Chicago. My running club gives me a hard time about all the treadmill running I did last year to train for the Boston Marathon, and when I do show up dressed to run outside in the cold everyone is shocked. Maybe its the beautiful snow covered scenery that's calling my name, or that hypnotizing crunch of snow under my feet. Or better yet, maybe it's the extreme sport of car dodging on slippery roads thats got my attention. What ever it is, something's different this time around. I can't wait to get outside and just run! Running is my life! It's what keeps me grounded and most importantly, it's what kept me intact when my son passed away 13 years ago. Running clears my mind and keeps me focused. The further the run the better! I'm not a fast runner, but fast running has never been the focus for me. I just love to run... Three of the most important areas of my life: Family, Running, & Haiti. I can't think of a better way to join these three areas than to run a marathon (yes, this one is also 26.2 miles...) IN HAITI and bring my family along for the ride. So there it is folks, I'm officially announcing the first ever marathon in Ouanaminthe, Haiti, January 9th, 2011. This race won't be for everyone and details will be forthcoming. My goal is to raise $50,000 for education and community transformation in Ouanaminthe. The planning team is coming together to make this dream a reality. Your encouragement and support is priceless!

1 comment: