Haiti Marathon Story 2011

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chicago Marathon 2011

This past Sunday, I ran the Chicago Marathon as a training run for a future race. Normally, I would have my game face on. I would pick out the perfect outfit. I would fill my belt with the right amount of gels and shot blocks to finish in the best time possible. This time, not so much. I decided to run the Chicago Marathon the night before. I have to admit, I obtained a bib from a fellow runner who had decided not to run, and showed up Sunday morning ready for whatever came my way. This Sunday afternoon, I would see the simpler side of the Chicago marathon. I would dance, laugh, play, jump off course for slurpees after mile 10, and simply walk and walk some more. I would absorb the enthusiasm of novice runners determined to finish this hard earned goal. I would joyfully run to the finish line welcoming the coolness of the finishers medal upon my neck.... It was my favorite run ever! Returning home, I heard of a fellow runner, a young man named William Caviness, who had fallen unconscious just 500 yards from the finish. Sadly, he was pronounced dead at a local hospital just hours following the race. How could this be? Please Lord, i hope the family was spared the pain of watching this take place... I can't begin to imagine how this family will find peace in such a painful situation. It's now Tuesday and I have spent the last two days reading about William's life. He was firefighter with a beautiful family. He had a passion for running and a heart for burn victims. His life ended much too soon. This marathon was his attempt to bring attention and funding toward the needs of burn victims, whereby bringing simple delight and happiness to people he cared for. It reminded me of our son Jonathan who passed 14 years ago last month. After battling a rare heart condition for 11 sweet months, we too said goodbye to that beautiful face forever. In spite of Jonathan's short life, he brought a sense of overwhelming joy to everyone he met. The Haiti marathon was born out of Jonathan's memory. Having visited Haiti for the first time 4 years ago, it did not take much to realize that hunger, inequality and poverty DOES have a cure. Unlike our son's rare heart defect, we could make a difference in these children's lives. With this understanding, the Inaugural Haiti Marathon took place this past January 2011. We race to bring hope to the children of Haiti. We join efforts with the local Haitian runners to remind the world that education is a gift which everyone deserves. As we begin to put this race together for January 2012, I can't help but feel moved to donate a portion of our proceeds towards Williams cause...We don't raise much, but every cent counts... I have decided to donate 10% of our Haiti marathon funds toward Williams passion for burn victims. Please see the video and photos below for more information, but more importantly, please help us make this event a success! Donations can be made to: OSUMC Attn: Martha Walker-Restore Haiti Marathon 701 E Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, IL 60194 All donations are tax deductible. If you are interested in running with us in Haiti this January please contact me, at restorehaiti@yahoo.com May you rest in peace William.... May your family find comfort in those who will hold them tightly in the coming days. Many blessings, Martha Walker

No comments: