Haiti Marathon Story 2011

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti Earthquake

Psalm 22:24
For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.
It is in times such as these when we begin to question God. Why? How? Where are You? I cannot begin to imagine the depths of painful cries heard throughout the heavens when such tragedies such as this occur. My heart is heavy for the people of Haiti who I have come to know and love. Their sorrow is felt around the globe and yet their voices have been silenced in the rubble. We have a great responsibility at hand, to be the voice. As the dust begins to settle and the damage is made clear, I pray we will each know our place in restoring this country. We returned from Haiti safely on Saturday and missed this tragedy by days. I think I speak for most people who minister to the Haitian community, that while our bodies are here, our hearts and prayers are there. Our town of Ouanaminthe certainly felt the serious quakes, but no major damage or injuries have been reported. I have heard from many missionaries living in this city that schools have been closed as teachers and students are beyond distracted by concern for loved ones in Port Au Prince. It is my guess that towns like Ouanaminthe will become future homes to the displaced peoples of this devastated area, and they will need our help in this process. For those who are following our Haiti Marathon set for January of next year, the planning process is well underway. This unique fundraiser hopes to assist with the desperate educational needs as well as community transformation in the city of Ouanaminthe. In light of this recent tragedy, we will be donating a substantial portion of the proceeds to relief efforts in Port Au Prince as well. For immediate assistance, 100% of all on-line donations will be made directly to relief efforts from now until April 1st. Your support and encouragement in this process are welcomed and needed. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me: restorehaiti@yahoo.com I have learned a very important lesson about God during my year of serving in Haiti that I want to share with you. You see, over the past year, I have seen children go hungry. I have held a small orphaned child in my arms as they sewed his precious head back together. I have directly experienced the harsh realities of corruption in Haiti. I have watched ministries come and go in support of Haiti and I have seen people turn a blind eye to the need of a desperate country. However, on the other hand, I have seen hope through the eyes of those we consider hopeless. I have learned the difference between belief in God and dependence on God. I have learned to dance with joy and worship with passion. I have learned to smile and truly mean it. I ask you--Who is helping who? I have learned that in spite of great tragedy, we have a God of love, compassion, and hope and though we may walk through the most painful of times, we walk not alone....
Be assured we are loved.

No comments: