Haiti Marathon Story 2011

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"World Changers"

Matthew 6:2a, 3-4
So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you... But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
I love to serve others. I find no greater joy than coming along side someone in need to lending a helping hand. I was fortunate to marry a man who is also extremely giving and we try very hard to pass on a generous heart to our children. I remember when I was a little girl. I would spend hours cleaning the house for mom and dad just to hear~ "Wow, you did this all by yourself?" It never got old! Sadly, this need for affirmation has followed me all through my life. I have always wanted to "give" like scripture says- in secret. Oh man, that's tough. I've even caught myself hinting for a little appreciation after giving in some way. Boy do I have a long way to go. Have you ever met those people who just give and give and give and ask for nothing in return, absolutely nothing? You can just see their joy comes from the act of giving rather than any affirmation they may receive. I love these people! We call these "World Changers." World changers are those people who think little of themselves and mainly of others. Their heart breaks for those in need, but rather than just feeling bad, they DO SOMETHING to make whatever little difference they can, never thinking of themselves in the process. Meet Julia (holding the check) and her little sister Tessa. Julia is the youngest World Changer I have had the privilege of meeting. Julia began collecting spare change from around the house after Hurricane Katrina. She wanted to do anything to help the people who had lost so much. Her compassion continued well beyond her first natural disaster. Julia wanted to help my husband and I with our ministries in Haiti and Ethiopia. Julia collects all year long and would you believe she had well over $100 this past December which she divided amongst the ministries she was passionate about. It was certainly my privilege to take this photo with Julia as she donated her savings to the Haiti food program. Julia never asked for anything in return. She simply handed me the check, smiled, and ran off to play. This is the generous heart I speak of. It's a precious moment when adults re-learn from children the forgotten of innocence childhood. May we come to know the true meaning of compassion as seen through the eyes of a child and may we come to know what it means to be a real "World Changer" in the process.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

Martha - I recently discovered your blog and am slowing reading through it. Thank you for sharing your stories and experiences from Haiti. My husband and I were in Ouanaminthe this past July and it changed our lives forever. We're currently very involved with three orphanages there and will be spending a month there this summer. I'm hoping that this current tragedy will bring more people together to work for Haiti, doing the gospel rather than just taking about it. Like you, we've been reading and watching everything we can get our hands on about Haiti. We want to learn more about Ouanaminthe to see how we can help the entire community.

restorehaiti said...

Cherie,
I would love to hear what you have been doing in Ouanaminthe! I have fallen in love with the people and the culture far beyond any of my expectations. The marathon I am working on for January 2011 has two major focuses. The first is education the 2nd is community transformation. Feel free to email me at: restorehaiti@yahoo.com so that we can chat about possible projects for this amazing community. So good to hear from you!